23 March,Pakistan Day….A Non Food Post
I have said this over and over again that I am not so keen on celebrating days and here I am writing a post “Pakistan Day”. My intention is only to share with you all some facts about my homeland.
- Beauty: Pakistan is beautiful, it is utterly blessed! We don’t just say it ..it actually is. When it comes to breathtaking sceneries and mind blowing landscapes, Pakistan is matchless! We have 4 out of 14 highest peaks in the world including the second highest peak, K-2 . Our capital, Islamabad is the world’s second most beautiful capital. Besides mesmerising scenic beauty, Pakistanis are beautiful too. Pakistani men are rated as 4th most handsome guys.Guess they haven’t seen our men in uniform or the list would be like Pakistani men in uniform…Period! When President JF Kennedy and First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy visited Pakistan in 1962 the First lady said to our President that she had not seen a single ugly girl in Pakistan!
- Brains: Pakistan has the 7th largest pool of scientists and engineers. World’s youngest microsoft professional and programmer are from Pakistan. We have a Nobel Prize winning physicist Dr Abdu Salam and spokesperson for girl’s education Malala Yousufzai. Recently our film maker Sharmeen Obaid Chinoi won her second Oscar for her documentary “Girl in the River”. According to a poll organized by Institute of European Business Administration,from 125 countries, Pakistanis have been ranked 4th most intelligent people across the globe.Recently a scientist,Imran Khan, along with other 7 scientists, proved Albert Einstein’s theory of gravitational waves after a century, shocking the entire scientific world and opening new doors for research.
- Sports: Sialkot city is world wide famous for producing top quality sports goods. Nearly 60-70 millions hand sewed footballs are being manufactured in local industries yearly, amounting to roughly 60-70% of world production. Pakistani duo, Jehangir Khan and Jansher Khan, ruled the world of Squash for over two decades.
- Armed Forces: Pakistan Army is ranked #6 as the largest standing army of the world. Pakistan provides the largest number of troops for United Nations Peacekeeping missions. Pakistan Air Force has the world’s best trained pilots. Squadron Leader M. M Alam held the world record of downing 6 fighter planes in under a minute during 1965 war. We are the first and only Muslim Nuclear Power.
- Humanity: When Russia invaded Afghanistan in 80’s, Pakistan opened it’s doors for Afghan refugees and provided shelter to over 1.5 million registered refugees which is still the highest protracted refugee population globally. Edhi Foundation is Pakistan’s largest non profit social welfare programme and it runs the world’s largest ambulance network.
- Few more facts:
- World’s deepest sea port is Gwadar.
- Khewra salt mines are the world’s second largest salt mine.
- Pakistan’s national Anthem tune is ranked #1 in the top three tunes of the world.
- In the last 5 years, literacy rate in Pakistan has grown by 250%, largest increase in any country to the date.
- We have the world’s largest irrigation system.
- Korakoram Highway is the world’s highest paved international road, which is said to be the8th wonder of the world!