98 Calorie Brown Bread
Couple of years ago I had that craze of baking bread at home and totally loved the whole process.. Just kneading, resting, shaping, proofing and baking. Oh! That amazing aroma of freshly baked bread and that soft-as-pillow bread.. Devine. The only thing that I found difficult was waiting for it to get cool. Then we moved to a new place and I got more involved in gluten free baking.
Recently I am rekindling that passion of homemade bread and this time its brown bread. Technically brown bread should contain whole wheat flour to make it healthy but commercially that’s not how it is done and brown color is achieved by adding molasses. In this particular recipe there are oats and all purpose flour with brown sugar and honey. One slice would more or less be containing 98 calories which is pretty good in my opinion as there is very little fat content. I absolutely love the flavor and texture of this bread and I have been baking it regularly with some modifications.
See how nice it looks! No preservatives or bread enhancer required. Process is very simple for making the dough, as I prefer using electric mixer or processor, let it rise, punch down and shape into a loaf, let it rise again and bake.
Due to some technical problems, recipe format is not the same for this recipe.
INGREDIENTS (1 loaf 9 x 5)
1/2 cup old fashioned oats or quick oats
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp salt
1 cup boiling water
2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tbsp instant yeast
1/4 tsp sugar
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp honey
6 tbsp warm water
- In a mixing bowl combine oats, oil and salt. Mix briefly.
- Add boiling water and stir well. Let oats soften, about 5-7 minutes depending on the weather.
- Meanwhile combine flour, yeast, sugar, brown sugar, honey and warm water in a large mixing bowl.
- Add oats to flour mixture.
- Knead everything together with an electric mixer fitted with dough hook attachment on medium speed for 6-8 minutes till the dough is soft and elastic. This step can be done in a food processor too.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl. Cover and let it rise in a warm place for an hour.
- Punch the dough to release air and shape into a loaf.
- Place in a greased 9 x 5 loaf tin. I used a 8.5 x 4 tin. Loosely cover and let it proof for 50 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 190 C / 375 F.
- Bake the bread for 40-45 minutes. The top will be golden brown.
- When baked, remove from the tin and place on a wire rack.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Cool completely before slicing.