Wednesday Wisdom: Top 10 Benefits Of Guava
Guava (amrood in Urdu) is a tropical fruit, available everywhere in Asian countries and since health benefits associated with this fruit are discovered and revealed it’s demand and supply has increased too. It is round or pear shaped sweet fruit, green or yellow in color with white or pink color flesh (depending on the type) and contains small hard seeds. It is usually eaten as it is. Commercially it’s juice, jam and jelly are extracted. It is every child’s after school snack in Pakistan and you will see it is being sold outside schools. The vendor will simply cut the fruit in four sections, sprinkle some masala and hand it over. The ones with pink flesh will cost a student a little more than average white one, never understood why, but we all happily paid for extra color. When in season, you’ll see it being sold on the busy roads and travelers would make a quick stop to buy and enjoy this fruit. It is a must-add fruit to our local favorite Fruit Chaat (tangy fruit salad) other than that I have not seen it being used in different raw or cooked form.
Nutritionally a 100 gm of guava carries 80 gm water, 68 calories, 5.4 gm dietary fiber, 0.95 gm fat, 18 gm calcium, 22 mg magnesium, 42 mg phosphorus, 417 mg potassium with some protein, iron and sodium too. It is an excellent source of Vitamin C as 100 gm guava would provide 381% of daily requirement. Vitamin a and B are also present in good amount.
Top 10 Benefits:
- It has natural antioxidant properties due to high vitamin C content (four times more than oranges) which boosts immune system.
- Being high in dietary fiber and hypoglycemic it helps in controlling blood pressure and reduces cholesterol levels.
- It is a good source of copper which helps in regulating metabolism by helping to control hormone production and absorption.
- Due to its good nutrient content it keeps digestive tract healthy by simultaneously disinfecting it and the fiber creates healthy bowel movements.
- With high quality and quantity f vitamin C it is effective in preventing and lessening of cold and viral infections. Excellent source to cure scurvy.
- Vitamin B3 in this fruit can help increase blood flow and improve cognitive function and B6 is good for brain and nerve function.
- It is a good choice for weight loss as it contains good amount of dietary fiber and overall good amount of other essential nutrients.
- It provides about 12% of daily required vitamin A hence good for eye sight.
- It keeps skin healthy and glowing and prevent premature aging.
- It helps to regulate sugar absorption in diabetics.
(Pictured guavas are home grown and organic. Information source is organicfacts.net)