Wednesday Wisdom: 8 Things You Shouldn’t Microwave
( Image by Mike Marques/ unsplash.com)
No matter how many studies and researches we come across it is almost impossible for us to stop using this electronic kitchen gadget. I have no problem admitting this fact. What is your take on it? We all know metal has no place in the microwave and here are few more things not to be heated in microwave for both safety and health risks.
source Reader’s Digest
- Hard Boiled Eggs: Rapid heat generated by microwave creates a lot of steam inside an egg which can explode as steam has nowhere to escape.
- Meat: It is tricky to defrost meat cuts in a microwave as the outer and thinner edges start cooking and thicker parts remain frozen which can allow bacteria to grow. It is better to thaw meat in the refrigerator.
- Plastic Containers: Plastic containers have no place in the microwave. Period. Takeout or leftover plastic containers should never go in the microwave.
- Styrofoam Containers: Just like plastic Styrofoam containers can too release harmful chemicals when heated in a microwave.
- Fancy Plates: Fancy China with metallic designs and edges on them can react with microwave which could be a safety hazard. Use plain plates to heat food in the microwave.
- Travel Mugs: Even if it says “microwave safe” it is better not to reheat liquids in a travel mug in a microwave.
- Nothing: It is dangerous to start a microwave with nothing inside as it can ignite fire.
- Cups Of Water: Heating water in microwave can superheat the water and when the cup is moved this heat can be released violently which can be of scalding risk.